History

The main building at Bennett College was designed by James Ware and originally built as a resort hotel in the 1890s.  The hotel failed financially, and in 1907 it was sold to Miss Bennett’s College, which offered a two-year curriculum and served the daughters of many prominent families.

 

With the growing popularity of coeducational education, and the desire by many young women to pursue four-year degrees, the college’s popularity waned in the 1970s, and it eventually declared bankruptcy in 1978.  In the 21st century, where students once wandered the grounds, Millbrook residents and visitors will be able to enjoy all the amenities that Bennett Park has to offer.

Allee-of-trees-Lite_PPT_Cropped.jpg